Please read this whole page before applying for membership.
To participate in club diving activities with Geelong Freedivers Inc., you must also be a member of the Australian Underwater Federation (AUF, see notes below) and agree to abide by the AUF spearfishing code of conduct (see link below) and club competition rules ( see competitions tab, above).
We invite all members of the public to attend our club meetings to get a feel for what the club is like: the people, the activities and the upcoming events schedule. Once you have taken that recommended step, feel the GFD is right for you and wish to become a member, then please follow the steps below.
To complete your mebership application:
- Go to the AUF website:
- Scroll down the page to the section headed ‘Spearfishing/Snorkel/Freediving’, select “Geelong Freedivers” as the Club, and a new page will pop up.
- Login, or register as a new user.
- Select the level of membership you require (eg. “Senior member, Social member etc”)
- Confirm that you have read the AUF Terms and Conditions, and click “Next”
- Fill out all your details, making sure your email address is correct!
- The system will automatically send an email outlining how to get involved in the club.
A club committee member will manually set up your personal log-in for this webpage. This may take a few days so don’t worry if you don’t see anything until the weekend: and check your junk email folder.
- The AUF is the Australian Government recognised peak sporting body for underwater activities (such as spearfishing, snorkeling, etc), and also provides a political voice for spearfishers: working with, and lobbying, Government and other fishing bodies to provide, promote, and manage access to the fisheries we all enjoy. Your AUF membership includes indemnity and sports injury insurance when partaking in club dive activities. GFD Inc. requires you to have this insurance to cover the clubs dive activity obligations.
- Senior membership is for those over 18, and Junior membership is for those under 18 years old. Social membership is for membership of GFD Inc. only, and does not incude membership of the AUF at any level. Social membership does not include activity insurance, and does not enable access to dive activities (pool training, social dives, or competitions) convened by the GFD Inc. or AUF. All levels of membership, including Social, use the same AUF registration process.
- If you’re already a member of the AUF through another club, but would like to participate in Geelong Freedivers activities then you don’t need to join the UAF twice: just send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your AUF membership number, and we can organise your Geelong Freedivers Inc. membership for the cost of GFD Inc club membership only (Senior: $20, using Paypal).
- The financial year runs from 1 July to 30 June the following year, and all memberships expire at the end of the financial year. In the first year of joining, your membership will start when you join, and expire on 30 June: which is not ideal for those joining late in the financial year. For new members, the AUF and / or GFD Inc. may (at their discretion) apply a discount rate, or set the expiry date to the following year. For membership renewals, the AUF may also offer a discount to those who renew their membership prior to the end of the financial year: an ‘Early Bird special’ incentive. Please enquire on such discount opportunities before you pay.